Monday, October 17, 2005

A Little Bit of Live Aid.

My sister sent me an email tonight noting that she feels so old. She was watching the broadcast of the live aid concert from 1985 and reminiscing about those days. I flicked over and caught a little bit of the special, just in time to see Freddie Mercury out front of Queen singing Radio ga-ga. A small tear welled up in my eye as I realized that some of these artists are no longer with us. A lot more are washed up and a fair few are still "rocking". Elton looked ridiculous in whatever hair he had on. Tina Turner had her trademark fright wig on and Mick Jagger looked skinny and all lips as per normal (nothing changed there).
I saw a glimpse of Bob Geldof and he looked so young, what I still can't figure out is how can one man, by virtue of his one and only hit song "I don't like Mondays" make such a long lasting impact? I know he organized and continues to make an impact, but his off sider in the live aid thing, Midge Ure, has pretty much turned invisible. Where is his Knighthood? He's alive and well. Did you know he was originally part of Thin Lizzy?
Remember when Albums were those big black things with actual grooves and you needed a huge system to play the damn thing. You had to clean the needle as it gathered dust, ahhh those were the days.
Sorry, just stepped back in time for a while. Back now.
Have a good week.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Cape Man: Let me bolster your spirits. I've seen Cyndi Lauper (looks better at 51 than 31), Grand Funk has a new tune out called "Bottle Rocket" and they are amazing live, Doobie Brothers still "Rockin' Down the Highway", Rick Springfield is 54 but 22 year old girls want to pinch his butt, and yes--I have a Discwasher kit and a Granite-base turntable. I recall the Stereo Lab store chain with all the cool speakers from Boston Acoustics to JBL. Queen has reformed and most of the bands are around. Check websites! And Take Heart!!

Melba said...

capey, your comments box takes an age to load up... just to let you know

hey wasn't ultravox and thin lizzy around the same time?

i am bemused

rick springfield, loved him. cyndi, loved her, but was a bit jealous because a boyfriend really fancied her and i couldn't EVER compete, what a woman

Cape Man said...

Ultravox (started in about 1974) had contacted Thin Lizzy's management and they hit it off. Later, Midge joined Thin Lizzy in mid-July 1979 and helped the band out until early 1980, but returned to Ultravox to record Vienna.
Or something like that.

Cape Man said...

Thanks MG, It seems fine now. I don't have word verification on yet so that's not to blame.

ChickyBabe said...

I watched Live Aid a couple of months back and had the same thoughts about Freddie Mercury. Such a voice! And look at Davoid Bowie. He looks much better now than he ever did!

Cape Man said...

So do we think it is clean(er) living or the knife that has given DB that youthfulness?

ChickyBabe said...

DB admnitted publicly that it was 'the teeth' that make him look so good. Take a look, you'll see the difference! But I think it has something to do with inner happiness and being a dad... that's what I got out of his interview with Parkinsons.