Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Six months in a leaky boat...

When I bought this tent of mine, I asked "Is it waterproof?", the answer came back "Yes". Mistake number 1, I believed them.

When trying to assemble the tent in the rain, don't rush. Read the friggin instructions, no matter how show or useless they look coz invariably there are many clues in the text that will allow you to figure it out and get your tent up (I had assembled it in the backyard once after purchase and had no problems). Mistake number 2, didn't RTFM.

At the site, we couldn't figure out which telescopic poles we needed (6 or 9 segments?), used the wrong ones, the rain started and stupidly I said "This is only a passing shower". Mistake number 3, it rained for nearly 2 full days solid.

Finally got the tent up, with the fly cover and moved all our stuff in. Refer to mistake number 1. The tent was not waterproof, it was more sieve like. Mistake number 4, when the forecast is for rain, bring a tarp, we didn't.

2 nights in a leaky tent is more than enough for me. Thanks for the experience, the kids are not scarred at all (counseling starts soon) :-)

It was fun. Never lost our sense of humour.

Tail-end* and tapering* are going into the family lexicon to represent the weekend.


*both in reference to the rain ending but never did.

4 comments:

BEVIS said...

You've been tagged.

PS - Silver Fox is right. You do have a great blog here. :)

BEVIS said...

Oh, and thanks for the link.

(It's definitely 'BEV-IS'.)

:)

ChickyBabe said...

Yikes!! I can stand being grumpy but not being sleeping in the wet... I think I'll keep my Mondayitis, thanks :).

Cape Man said...

Thought you might CB.

Bev-issss, thanks for the Tag. I think Silver fox is definitely correct, but I might explore his very reasonable contract rates. I wonder if I need to sign one of Howards new IR contracts to work for a american spammer?