Sunday, August 21, 2005

Nostalgic about my cars.

My first car. The humble Datsun 180B, built in 1977, rego IXA859. Colour scheme, cream body with black roof. I had it from about 1984 until about 1987. It basically got me to uni and back when I realized that traveling by train from Preston to Caulfield was such a time waster. Cheap on the petrol but a bit daggy. My uni mates had the following: EH Holden, Mitubishi Sigma, XB falcon wagon, '78 Toyota Corolla wagon, so my datsun was right at home with that lot.








Around 1987 I started working an thought I should replace IXA with something that might help the image. Well a lack of advice and bull at a gate attitude saw me buy a Holden JB Camira, circa 1982. Rego BMY256, in my possession for about 5 years, this was 5 years too long. The worst car ever made, it was my introduction to the "Friday Afternoon" car. After a couple of breakdowns, BMY's time was up. It was traded in for the next car (lucky dealer huh?).







This is the first (and only) brand new car I bought. The 1991 Mazda 323, rego ERW768. I got a $3500 trade in for the Camira which helped out, and probably could have got more if I'd brought my dad along. Anyway, still got ERW, it's the car I'm 60% through selling. It's a great little car, I got the Laguna Blue version which at the time drew a few comments from passing motorist, even cops (without getting a ticket). Although, I did get one speeding fine in this fine automobile. The only complaint I had was that the first clutch went after 40,000K's which I thought was a little early but Mazda said was "normal" for a car that lives in a hilly suburb.









After having our first child in 1995, we couldn't get around in the one small car, so I used the salary sacrifice facility at work and leased a Holden VT Berlina in 1998. Rego OVW798, It was a pretty average car, a few creature comforts but generally did what it was supposed to do. The lease was for 3 years so in 2001, we traded up.









The next car was a truck really. We succumbed to the 4wd craze and leased a Toyota Prado 2001, reg QWM968. We'd had a second child by this stage and thought that we needed the extra space to carry all of Child #2's stuff. In reality it was overkill but on occasions it was useful to have that extra space. The one thing I did like was the on top of the world feeling. The ability to see over the traffic was brilliant, but in most cases, the bulkiness and lack of speed made it impossible to use this advantage.









Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I had to break the lease on the Prado at the end of 2002. Once things settled down, in 2003, I took on a new lease. My current car is a For Falcon XR6 Turbo. You could call it a little mid life thing, but I'm not 50 and it's not a red ferrari, far from it. Ford were actually able to send me photos of my car being built. How many car companys do that?










From start above, to finish below.











Final product: tada.









Funnily enough I can't remember the rego of this one.

4 comments:

J Anderson said...

Nice photos. Michele sent me.

kenju said...

Thanks for visiting; you are allowed to be bored - but did you read down a bit? You might have found something more to your liking.

kenju said...

My point exactly. If people didn't need every penny, they wouldn't be so careful with them. I used to find coins at least 3-4 times a week. Now I am lucky if I find 1 a month.

Pirate Princess said...

Wow capeman! I don't think I could remember all of my cars... the ones that stick in my brain are my yellow ford truck that was ancient that my parents gave me to drive as a teen - the muffler fell off as I drove down the road and then later the engine literally caught on fire! It was something else.

And my husband's cute Le Baron convertible. It was FUN!

Now, I just drive a custom Chevy van that fits all the kids. :0) And you know, I don't think we have pics. of any of them. That's cool you could catalog yours visually. :0)