Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stupid choices.

If you had owned and operated a Petrol Station /Mechanics workshop and it went bust. If you had almost lost your mothers house as she went guarantor on a loan for a failed hairdressing business. If you had purchased a beach house property on Phillip Island and over committed yourself. If you had other ventures that had gone badly, would you go back to the well and try again?

I expect most people would say ‘Yes’, it’s in the blood to find that pot of gold, and I wouldn’t blame anyone for giving it another go, but you’d think you’d really investigate the options. You’d do plenty of market research; you’d get plenty of independent advice. Well you’d think so.

So why is it that my second cousins decided to invest in 3, count them, 3, franchises of the Danoz Direct variety? I know that there might be people that buy the Danoz stuff from the TV ads but who would walk into a shop and buy that crap? For the life of me I can not understand why you would think this was going to be a huge money spinner. Not to mention the fact that the locations were inside 3 of Melbourne’s largest shopping centres, so the rent is horrendous. What the hell were they thinking?

I saw them at a funeral last week and they told me that they almost lost their house when the venture went belly up, what a surprise. I just wished they’d sanity check this sort of stuff with others in the family, removed enough so that we can be honest, I hate seeing people in that position. All it would have taken is for me to give them the “You’ve got to be kidding” look and maybe they would have thought twice.

I’ve been thinking about taking the leap out of the comfy desk job and into small business, hopefully I won’t fall into the same trap the cousins found themselves in. Now they have to sue and try to recover from someone for the broken promises, it will only get messy. I wish them well.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Stopping by to say hello....

I am quite certain that you will not make the same mistake as your cousins - simply because you understand the importance of doing market research and thinking it through.

It is sad when someone fails like that.

Pirate Princess said...

I think you'd do fine too... you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. As a wife of a fella who's in and out of his own businesses, it can be tricky finding the "right" market - although, he's never done anything like that. Can't imagine having that much overhead! :0)

Who's funeral?

Cape Man said...

Welcome any time Michele.
Hi Angel, The funeral was for a grand Aunty, she was 95 and had her great, great grand son ther as well. She is part of a very large family tree.

Gianluca Di Milano said...

My freind Stefano was have a very nice business, he was sell the tea to kids and pretend it was weeds. Was very success and now he is live in fuck big house in beverley hills.

Cape Man said...

Ima sure you friend Stefano thinks hes'a in Beverley Hills, when hes'a in da bigga house'a.
Dida he sell earla gray or was it orancia peco?