Sunday, July 03, 2005

Out of the mouth of babes...

My son asked me a difficult question tonight. It wasn't a tough one to answer, but it just made me think. He stood there and asked me "Dad, if you had to go to hospital, who would look after us?” Being a widower, I guess this is a valid question. The two children and I live by ourselves and with family nearby so the answer is simple, either the grandparents or one of their uncles or aunties.
So you see, the answer is simple, but he didn’t like those answers. He wanted someone else to be in charge. He wanted himself to be in charge! I looked at him a little quizzically and he then explained. “I should be in charge and if anything happened I could ring grandpa or auntie and they could come and take care of things”. Not sure if he fully thought his plan through though, making lunches, getting to school, the washing, preparing dinner etc, but they both have shown a keenness to learn.
Begs the question though, in my situation, if I was in hospital, who would be best to look after them? At least he wasn’t planning for life after my death; hopefully he’ll be well into his 70’s before that becomes an issue.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi capeman, that is a hard question and a very wise one. Hope that never happens that there will be a need for the hospital. Came by Michele.

kenju said...

Michele sent me, Capeman. That is a wise little boy; he know someone must be in charge. Perhaps you should discuss it with your siblings in advance of a problem.

Misti said...

I wonder what would happen if i had to be absent from the home. its a tough quesyion to answer,

hello, michelle sent me.

Pirate Princess said...

Very wise of you to think of this soon... we have our wills drawn up, and have always talked things over with friends and family for those "just in case" scenerios. In a crisis, you want things to be automatic and already thought out instead of trying to make decisions under pressure. Great topic.

Pirate Princess said...

Very wise of you to think of this soon... we have our wills drawn up, and have always talked things over with friends and family for those "just in case" scenerios. In a crisis, you want things to be automatic and already thought out instead of trying to make decisions under pressure. Great topic.

kenju said...

Hi again, Michele sent me this time too. Have you solved this knotty problem yet?

Paul Nichols said...

Good morning. It's American Independence Day here in the Heartland of America (Kansas). 4th of July. I like your site. I enjoyed your son's first story, too. I'll be back.